Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Bell Jar-Sylvia Plath





The one, the ONLY, Sylvia Plath. How could a book written by her, that is pretty much about her, be bad? Well, it can't! Obviously this really isn't considered "historical fiction," but sometimes I come out of my little box, and read books that are actually relevant to the classes which I must teach as a good English teacher. I went on a kick where I bought a bunch of books that I might teach. Mind you, staying away from evil novels such as; ANYTHING by Dickens! Yes, I'm a hater. But, Plath's book = amazing. First of all, it's pretty much based on her life, and well, the lady killed herself by sticking her head in an oven, so obviously she's nuts, and no one writes a better book than a crazy lady! It's full of inner angst, and suicidal thoughts, as well as an attempted suicide. It definitely kept me reading. It's an easy read, only took me like two days to finish, but then I might be considered an abnormally fast reader? I would definitely recommend reading it though, especially if you like her poetry (which is awesome!)
Oh, and if you are suicidal, you might want to wait until you're a little more stable before reading this book, because I suppose it could be considered "triggering."

I suppose I really had no need to even talk about this book, since it's been reviewed/discussed a million times, but since it's my NEW YEARS RESOLUTION to keep track of the books I read this year, I felt the need to throw it in here!

No comments:

Post a Comment